Monday, January 07, 2013

Swim 1 - Sarah 0

Holy crap man. Today's swim kicked my arse... and my arms... and my legs. I can't believe, well, I can't really believe a couple of things:

1) How much I must have done over the past year to build up my condition by swimming

and I realize point 1 only because I noticed point two:

2) How much I must have been slacking in December because today's swim about killed me.

Seriously!

I only swam for 35 minutes because the pool was exceptionally crowded and not with the typical silver bullets (old silver headed folk who don't get out of your way or feel they need to share the lanes) but my arms feel like I swam the English Channel! My quads are a wee bit shaky but my arms feel like lead. I've got two zeppelins hanging from my shoulders who are of absolutely no use to me. I can feel both my biceps and triceps just begging for mercy. What a workout! And what a way to start off my week!

I'll admit, it was tough getting up at 6am to swim and I have to really give credit where credit is due... my husband is the biggest and best support system a girl could wish for and always has been. As I was sitting bedside, telling him how hard it was to get up and asking him "should I go" (when I know good and well I SHOULD GO!) he said to me "If you want to get in three swims this week you should. I know it's really hard, but you're a strong woman and you can do it". That's all I needed was his boost of confidence in me and I was up and running, er, swimming.

When I pulled into the parking lot at work, I remembered my other goal, to take the stairs and not the lift. Ugh. I briefly tried talking myself out of it. I really did want to find some reason that I SHOULDN'T walk up those stairs but in the end I decided, come hell or high water, I didn't want to be the one standing in my own way of success. So I clambered up to the 3rd floor (4th by American standards) and huffed and puffed for a few minutes before entering my workspace. My legs, who were already shaky from the swim, were not quite Bambi-trembling but it came close. I predict by this time next week, they should get used to it and it should only take me a good 30 seconds to catch my breath at the top.

As well as the other goals I mentioned in yesterday's post, I forgot to talk about logging my calories in the My Fitness Pal website. It's something I started doing last year but got off track somewhere around November and just haven't gotten back into it fully. My goal is to log my food solidly, all week long.

It seems I am off to a good start! How has your first week of the new year gone?

I hope you're all having healthy, successful weeks!

No comments: