Monday, August 30, 2010

Transformers! More than beats the eye!

Dewy suggested that I pick up a copy of Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink, so I did, because, why else would my insurance be paying for a counselor if I am not going to take her advice and go with it. So I'm about 1/3 of a way into the book and I can hardly put it down. It is so well written, a bit of an easy read. I even brought it to work with me today to read over my lunch hour.

Now you all know what kind of effect Dr. P's "The Ultimate Weight Solutions" had on me. It was profound and I have since re-labeled it as The Weight Loss Bible (for my own personal uses only, I don't think Dr. P's staff was quite as receptive to the idea, and that restraining order kind of proves it) but this book, this little paperback, lightweight book... it sheds an altogether different light on eating habits. It opens your eyes, ears and mind up to things you (and I) probably never thought twice about.

It could never replace the Weight Loss Bible, no, never. I shudder at the thought! I do think putting the two together, hand-in-hand, is like building my own personal Weight Loss Transformer. Dr. P is the body/heart of my machine and Brian Wansink is the head. Dr. P relieves me of the emotional, heartfelt, burden of food and it's powers over me. Brian (yeah, we're on a first name basis already), he just figures it all out, does the math and spits out the answers for me. He's like my own personal cheat sheet.

Naturally, you (and me) are the final piece of the Weight Loss Transformer. You form the legs because it's up to you to run to the library, check these books out, race back home and read them front-to-back and you, the legs, will take the rest of the body where it needs to go thereafter.

It's your legs and feet that will step on the scale and see the difference. It's your legs that will carry you in front of the mirror to physically see the changed person week to week, month to month and year to year.  

I don't want to scare a potential readers of Mindless Eating away by saying it gives stats and study results (because to me that sounds so very boring, I yawned just writing the sentence in fact) but the book is the author telling you of all of the "tricks of the trade" to get you to eat more/less etc. It gives examples of case studies regarding things like restaurant lighting/music/ambience/smell and how it really does effect how much you will eat. It's also about how you can make changes in your own home, when you're out in a restaurant, when you're at parties, to make you more mindful of not only what you're eating but in what quantities.

I hesitated in giving a book description because it's hard to describe without making it sound boring or preachy, but I can promise you the book is neither of those. It's written with a humorous voice, which appeals to me, but still manages to be really informative. Like I said, I am only 1/3 of the way through and I cannot say enough good things about it, nor can I wait to see what else Brian has to say.

Let me know if you decide to read it or have read it already and your thoughts/feelings. Actually, feel free to comment anything, anytime! Makes me feel not so "alone" out there in my thoughts.

I hope you're all having healthy, successful weeks.


*********EDIT*********
After publishing this post, I went down and ate my lunch, book in tow. Low and behold, the very next chapter in Brian Wansink's book quoted none other than.... DR. PHIL and THE ULTIMATE WEIGHT SOLUTIONS. It's like the gods of weight loss are looking out for me.

3 comments:

AGirlWorthLosing said...

Sounds helpful. I am gonna check it out this weekend. Thanks friend.

Missa said...

Hi! So glad to see you back on here posting. Kick some tail girl!

Cheers,
Missa
LosingEthel

Shannon said...

Dr. Wansink's book totally rocks - I see him quoted in "weight loss" articles all the time. It's so eye-opening to read about his studies. And man, it is so very easy to eat mindlessly!

Good luck with your weight loss - and glad to hear the counseling is going so well!