Thursday, June 07, 2007

Totally kind of out there post.

I have an eerie serenity about my approach to food this week. Not calm in the way that I’m eating everything in site and not worrying about my consequences but calm in that I’m making wise choices and not struggling with it. This calmness is like the tides. It comes and goes, ever changing with the day.

I wonder what it is that makes some weeks flow much smoother than others. I’m the same me. It’s the same tempting food. I have the same goal week in and week out so why not have this composure all the time? It would really make life so much easier.
Ahhhhh… Life. I guess that’s what makes some days seem stormier than others. Life. Some days you’re flying high, confidence of a bull (I assume bulls have a lot of confidence since nobody really messes with them, well except those Spanish bullfighters but I’m fairly certain they’re nuts), ready to face the world. You know you can do it. You know what needs to be done and it’s no problem. Your decisions and choices to eat and exercise are easy. It comes natural.

But then Life happens. You’re rushed for time. You have a test to study for. You’re under pressure at work. You have a cold. You’re tired. You’re feelings are hurt. You’re mad at the world. You missed your bus. Your hamster died. Life throws you curveballs.

But what does all of this “life” have to do with my daily intake of food? For me, a food-a-holic, food and life’s stresses used to go hand in hand. Bad day, eat it away! Under stress? Sooth it with a huge calorific meal! But the honest truth is that food has nothing to do with any of this. If the problem isn’t hunger then the solution isn’t food. (I wish I were the brilliant one who thought of that but I read it somewhere, not sure where, great quote though).

Apparently life this week isn’t bothering me nearly as badly as it has the past month or so. I don’t know why. I have the same job, house, dog, problems, issues, class, bills, obsessions, aversions… I’m the same old me but this week I feel totally in control. I hope the feeling lasts.

2 comments:

AGirlWorthLosing said...

Life does seem to go in waves. I am glad you are riding out a good one. :) Yay!

*ccc* said...

I have a feeling you can make it last! Keep on keeping on, madame!