Friday, January 28, 2011

A quick catch up before the weekend...

Today was another workout day for me and once again I chose my Wii Fitness Coach as my tool-o-torture. I did this same workout for the first time on Wednesday and 6 minutes into it I was ready to die. You remember, I just blogged about it two posts down. :o)

Anyway, I knew that this time it was going to be "easier" or at least I woudn't feel like throwing in the towel quite as early into the workout. I've been here before, the first time you do something new is always the worst and it quickly gets easier but I was still really glad when I didn't want to die until 20 minutes into a 30 minute routine, so well done me!

I've been more hungry than usual over the past two days for some reason although I haven't changed my eating habits. I am still eating on schedule and the same foods that I've been eating for weeks. Not sure what the deal is there. It makes me kind of nervous because what I don't want to happen is this continues and I end up in a calorie infested binge. And I know it's hunger, actual real hunger, because I'm drinking plenty of water and my tummy is actually growling.

I've also had a hell of a lot of heartburn lately. I haven't had to take medicine for my acid reflux in ages, literally years, but suddenly it's been creeping up on me again. I am not eating acidic foods or anything that would generally scream "heartburn" and the only thing I can think of that I changed since it started happening was I greatly increased my water intake. Surely water wouldn't cause me heart burn? I'm almost afraid to google it. I've been popping tums a couple of times a day to get rid of it but I may have to call up the doctor and ask for some more Rx meds if it continues to be a problem.

Part of my goal is to start cooking more "from scratch" meals and including Sadie in the preparation. It's not that we're eating frozen dinners chock full of sodium or anything of that sort but the grocey store here offers a lot of fresh, prepackaged meals and we turn to those a lot due to scheduling and wanting to spend some play time with the kiddo after a 40 hour work week (which is a lot for a mom of a 2.5 year old, according to Dutch standards, but seems pretty typical for all my Americans out there). So, if you have any quick, easy, tasty recipes that you're just dying to share or you think we'd enjoy, feel free to pass them along! I'm going to check out some of those blogs I have over there to the right too, to get some inspiration. I enjoy cooking and preparing meals but I just don't want to give up my kiddo time, hence the importance on recipes she can help out with, you know, washing a tomato or pepper, stirring, whatever she can do.

So that's the it of it for today! I hope you are all having healthy, successful weeks!

2 comments:

Weighing Well said...

woohoo and congrats on the exercise! I am sooo happy for you! I am still trying to get over the hurdle of feeling good when I exercise as opposed to feeling like I might die. Anyway - you inspire me to keep trying - so thank you, thank you, thank you! I wanted to add a quick meal to your collection.

I have been cooking up a big pot of brown rice every few days so I will have it on hand. It does take about 30 minutes to cook so I cook several meals worth at a time.

That being said;
Cut up one package fresh broccoli and blanch it for just a minute until it bright green, drain well. While it is draining heat a few cloves of garlic in olive oil and add green oninon if you like, once these soften add your broccoli and stir fry for about 5 minutes. (I add a dash of soy sauce at the end)

Remove broccoli from the pan, add about a tablespoon of olive oil and reheat your rice - I also add a touch of soy to this - and heat about 5 minutes on high - basically fried rice. (You can also heat the rice with the broccoli if you don't mind it mixed)

Remove that from the pan and add a tablespoon of olive oil, Rinse and pat dry a couple of salmon steaks and pan fry. I season my salmon with a little seasoning salt and blackening spice.

This is one of my favorite meals. One pan, limits my clean up and I can usually make two meals out of the broccoli and rice.

I heard or read that eating the least processed food, or the closest to right out of the ground as possible, is the best way to lose weight and the most healthy. That is what I am trying so hard to do. Good luck - keep up the good work!

Occasional Kate said...

I haven't read your blog in a while, and thought to check in. Glad you're doing well!

Anyway, I made a throw together soup yesterday that was soooo good!

16 oz chicken broth, 16 oz water, 2 c brown rice, 2 chicken breasts, 2 tablespoons canola oil, lots of veggies and lots of spices! I used corn, peas, carrots, green beans, squash and zucchini. All frozen. For the spices I added onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and salt.

Just put everything in the slow cooker at once and heat on low for 6-12 hours. The rice gets soft and gives off its starch so it becomes creamy! I took the chicken out before we served it and used two forks to shred it, then put it back in so it would go farther in the soup.

Really good and ridiculously easy!