Sunday, May 20, 2012

Missed one swim, caught another

Last week we had a team building event that included crashing around a race track in go-karts for a couple hours (did you guess that the team is made up of 11 men and two women? good). Needless to say the next day I was sore, especially my back! I ended up skipping my swim and laying in bed for a bit of rest. I think it was a good choice but it meant I only swam twice last week. I did get in a couple smaller walks for some added exercise though to try to balance it out a bit.

My Friday swim was awesome. I seem to be pretty consistent in being able to swim 20 lengths (1 kilometer, 0.6 mile) with each swim if I'm able to use my snorkel. On those days when I can't because there aren't enough lanes, I concentrate on just kicking and using my arms hard and making myself sweat, rather than lengths I'm swimming. It's hard to believe I've been swimming for three months now. I'm still loving the pool like crazy.

I'm getting ready to go on vacation in the U.S. for a little over three weeks. I will whole heartedly admit that I am both excited and scared to death of it. Last year when back from vacation it took me months, seriously 6 or 7 months, after returning to get back into my weight loss groove. I had gained weight while away and just couldn't find my excitement around it. I lost and gained the same 4-5 pounds over and over those 6-7 months and it's just been since February that I've been back at it, full force. I have been working so hard at getting into some sort of "condition" for my swimming that I fear missing it for three+ solid weeks. Yeah, we'll be able to swim in the U.S. but I don't think it will be anywhere near what I am doing here. I'm planning on going to a local gym to get in some cardio. I think what happened last year was that I never moved during that first week there. Non-movement just led to further non-movement and then the tons of the vacation was set. This time around within the first week I want to have worked out at least twice. It'll be tough due to jet lag and strange schedules, but if I was to succeed I need to work out a way to make sure I do it. I'm not trying to be perfect or even LOSE while I'm there. I'm just trying to keep the gain to a minimum and keep my head on straight, in a forward motion to meeting my goal weight.

So this week I plan on swimming four days just to give myself that extra sense of self and to kind of reiterate my dedication to... well to myself and my health. I'm mentally revisiting all of the ideas and plans that DEWY helped me with at Novarum so I have a plan of attack in place for those food issues that I will run into.  Next Saturday we're off to the USA and vacation begins!

I hope you're all having healthy, successful weeks!

2 comments:

Dennis said...

I loved swimming when I was younger but I was never very good at it. The last time I tried it I thought I would drown before i could get out of the deep end of the pool.

Anonymous said...

Swimming is another alternative that I'm using for exercise and it really works for me. Losing weight about a couple of pounds in a month.

Thanks for sharing your blog.