Sunday, September 16, 2007

Been MIA

Sorry I've been MIA here (and on your blogs) this week but we have been super busy with the new house since Thursday. Thanks to all of you for the birthday wishes and it was a GREAT day! 31 feels pretty much the same as 30 did so I wasn't shocked or devastated or anything like that. Also, I wanted to say Happy Birthday (one day late but I thought of you yesterday but never got around to sending the e-card) to my cousin Melissa who shares my same birthday but she's 4 years younger than me, lucky lass. So HAPPY BIRTHDAY LISSA!!!

We spent most of the day at the new house painting. We ordered our flooring and it's going to be installed on Wednesday so we have to get all of the painting done before then. It's a lot of work!

I have some before and during pictures of the house that I'll share the link to at the end of this post but first I have to explain a few things.

When you move into an apartment here in Holland it comes totally gutted. You have to paint and put in your own flooring. The only things that come with the place is the cabinets and tiling in the bathroom and kitchen, so we didn't chose those. The tiles in the bathroom are grey and pretty but the kitchen cabinets are just plain white and not so great looking.

When you look at the pictures with the painted rooms (especially the red/yellow) keep in mind that there is no flooring yet. It will be a darker colored floor to tone down the brightness of the colors on the wall. It looks a bit Mcdonalds-ish in a couple of the pictures but I swear it doesn't in real life. The yellow is a buttercream, so really soft not sunflowery.

The red was a BEOTCH to paint and because we didn't know to use tinted primer. Well we didn't know until after we did the first coat and I about broke down crying because it looked awful and then looked up on the internet to see WHY it looked awful and found out this jewel of advice. It took us 3 coats to get it to look right without streaks and stuff! ARGH!

Of course the whole place will also look different and less oh-my-God-red and holy-moly-yellow when there is furniture added.

The hallway is a sage green and turned out wonderfully! I'm so happy with all of the color choices so far and we've really put in a ton of work to try to make it look nice. This is our first home that we've done together (when I moved here he already lived in our current home) and we've really been having fun with it.

I'm exhausted but we have to get the other three rooms ready because they're installing the flooring on Wednesday! YAY! I am so excited!

So here's the pictures. You'll have to pardon me looking like crapola and concentrate on the rooms!

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8QcsWTNm2bMQu

Oh and nothing will make you lose wieght faster than working non-stop on a house, right? We'll see on Tuesday!

3 comments:

Chubby Chick said...

Sarah... thank you SO much for the kind and encouraging comments that you left on my blog! I appreciate your support SO much! Thanks for taking the time out to comment. :)

I see that you have had TREMENDOUS success on your weight loss journey so far! Good for you! You should be SO proud of yourself! You are TRULY an inspiration... and I'm going to add you to my "daily reads." I plan to read all of your blog as time allows. I'm so excited! hehe

And your apartment is beautiful! I LOVE the paint colors you've selected! I detest white walls... they're just so cold and boring. The colors you've chosen are so bright and cheerful! And the view is gorgeous! I hope you post more pics after you and your hubby are all moved in.

Here's to your continued SUCCESS! :)

Teale said...

Wow, that looks like a LOT of work!!! Great job on it though!

Anonymous said...

What's up with the floors? Is the building new? Love the sage.