Monday, February 18, 2008

English Breakfast was yummy!

I did it! I went into the radio station this morning and participated in my first English Breakfast morning radio show! It started off a little rocky as I stood in front of the building freezing my ta-tas off with two of the other Monday morning personalities, Angus and Mark, waiting for somebody to show up with a key. After a while of shivering and a few mobile phone calls (one was a wrong number, oops! That' s never fun at 6:45 in the morning) trying to get us actually INTO the building, Angus decided to call the show since Sarah (the New Zealand version, not me obviously) was supposed to already be there. Within a few short seconds we were in the elevator and on our way up to the show.

I met Mick, the main Monday man and the show was off to a rolling start. The show is 2 hours long from 7-9 every Monday thru Friday. The first hour I didn't say much as there were 4 microphones and I made person #5. As I was there only to really observe that was okay with me. I did get a brief intro in the first hour though. Mick caught me a bit off gaurd when he asked me "what brought me to the show this morning" but I came back with a somewhat witty response of "Well I've always been told I have a face for radio" and laughter ensued. Whew.

After 8 a.m. Mike had to leave and I took my spot on the stool right in front of the microphone. He left me some news bits to read with the rest of the bunch and I was ready to go. I read my bits, gave my input, chimed in as to what the others were reading/talking about and overall just had a really good time. I only got nervous once and it was in the middle of reading one of my news stories. It lasted about 3 seconds and the rest of the time it just felt "right". The two hours seriously flew by. It was so much fun and I really cannot wait to do it again.

Sarah, the New Zealand version, is going on vacation for the next 5 weeks so I'm hoping to get to fill in for her. That would be awesome! I don't want to sound over enthusiastic or anything so I'm going to wait a good hour or so before I email the crew and invite myself back.

You're supposed to be able to listen to the show again if you missed it in the first place. You go to www.englishbreakfast.nl and click the "how to listen again" link at the top. After that, you guys are on your own. I'm not sure how often they update it or upload it or whatever happens. If ya can't tell I'm not exactly "techy". If I can manage to find out where you can listen to it I will come back and post it here.

So yeah, my first real true English Breakfast was yummy!

No comments: