Saturday, May 05, 2007

We're home from surgery.

Marco went out into surgery at about 2:15 yesterday afternoon after a long morning of sitting and waiting. He was considered "emergency" surgery which apparently here means he gets squeezed in when there is some open time in the OR.

Since visitors weren't allowed in the morning he spent most the day hanging out worrying his head off all alone in his room. I spent the same time hanging out worrying my head off all alone in my house. Finally at 1:30 I said screw it and went to the hospital anyway. I was just going to play "dumb American" and act like I didn't know the visiting hours hadn't started but ended up it wasn't necessary. They actually said that I could have been there all along since Marco was in a room by himself. THAT would have been nice to know! They let me walk him down to OR and give him a big fat wet kiss before he went in. I felt so much better just being able to see him and tell him I loved him to his face.

The surgery lasted about 2.5 hours but he came out of it like a champ. Being the pillar of strength that I am, I almost fainted in the recovery room. I have no idea what happened to be honest. I was standing there by his bed so happy to see him. He looked really good and was very alert. They were just getting ready to take him up to his room as a matter of fact. His parents were standing on the other side of the bed. We had only been there about 2 minutes when all of the sudden I felt really dizzy. I thought to myself "oh my God I'm going to faint". I do this every once in a while when I have something "done" to me, like at the doctors office, so I know what it feels like. I subtly started doing some deep breathing to try to calm myself down and to try to make the dizziness go away but my body wasn't having it. I then started seeing spots. I thought "fucking hell, I really am going to faint". I quickly went to the nearest chair and put my head between my legs. As soon as I rested my head on my hands I just started uncontrollably bawling and my face and body turned super hot. Of course the whole freaking staff rushed over to me, got me a cold rag, gave me some water. Marco's mom was patting my back. For Pete's sake, who just had surgery here?!?!?!? I guess I was just holding everything in for the past 2 days and when I saw Marco out of surgery and that he was doing well it all hit me like a ton of bricks and brought me down. Within a few minutes of bawling like a baby I was fine. I felt like an ass, but I was fine.

Back to Marco.

Due to sheer slowness we didn't get to talk to the doctor until this morning and actually even then we didn't get to talk to him just via a relay message.

Seems like the surgery surprised everybody because once they opened him up they realized that it ISN'T CANCER or even a tumor!!!!! Well they're 95% sure it's not cancer but they still have to run all of the tests to be 100% certain but they were very confidant in telling us they we shouldn't be worried. He also got to keep his testicle (not in a jar, in his body), the only took the mass out so that's wonderful news too. They said that it was just a mass of dead skin that showed up on the sonogram but without the surgery they never would have known. We will get the final results in about a week and a half I think. Right now we're extremely happy that he's home and recovering well.

The news is awesome but a little bitter sweet. We're THRILLED that he is well but in the same breath we believe this will make us ineligible for the TESE trials for our infertility. We will call Monday to see what they say for certain though. For now I have to be content knowing I have a healthy hubby passed out in bed wearing extremely cute hospital mesh undies.


Erin said...

Thanks for the update...I've kept you both in my thoughts!

That's great news about Marco! And don't worry about feeling like an ass...I would have done the very same thing! Your body just figured that you got over the hurdle, all is good, time to let it out:)

Best wishes to him for a great recovery!

kimberly said...

Sarah, I'm so glad that Marco should be fine, that must be SUCH a relief! I've been antiblog lately, but I've caught up, and despite your recent dieting troubles, I am still SO impressed and inspired by you.

Sarah said...

I am happy to hear that things turned out well. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers.