Sunday, January 27, 2008

In a food rut

We're in a food rut. Well it's more like a gigantic muddy murky sludge laden food ditch than a small rut. I just do not feel like eating or cooking anything. Nothing sounds goods. Nothing at the store looks good. Even once I cook a meal I don't even necessarily feel like eating it. I eat it because "What to Expect when You're Expecting" says I shouldn't skip a meal. Something about the baby needing food...blah blah blah. I've flipped that chapter the bird a few times already. (and I am joking, I would never not feed the little pumpkin).

Every day the inevitable conversation rolls around to "what's for dinner" and it's honestly making me angry. More than once I've shouted "I don't care!" or "I don't know, you pick!" and it's starting to get ugly. Marco and I wander through the aisles of the grocery store hoping that a vegetable/fruit/meat will jump off the shelf, wrap itself around my leg and scream "pick me! pick me!" And I will pick up the tender little morsel, soothe it lovingly and say "yes little lamb chop, I will pick you with some nice roasted potatoes". But that just never seems to happen.

Last night we went back to a little salad that we hadn't made in a while. The thing with us is that when we find something we like, we make the hell out of it until we can't stand the site of it anymore. Then we're back to where we started. We went back to our Greek salad and it was really wonderful. I cut up a cucumber, cherry tomatoes, one onion and mixed it in a bowl with some feta cheese, a sprinkle of Parmesan and some olive tapenade (they were out of pesto and this actually worked the same, not sure what the difference is to be honest) for a sauce. It was delicious! I was so happy to have made something that actually made me want to eat.

But now I'm already thinking, what in the hell am I going to make tomorrow. We bought some bratwurst at the store and planned on having that but now of course I don't feel like it and I'm out of mustard (all mustard here is dijon, which I don't like so I have to go to a specialty store that carries American goods to find my mustard.).

So please, tell me what you're eating. Inspire the totally 100% uninspired. What did you have for supper last night? What about the night before? Give me a recipe. Give me a hand. Give me something...anything!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Umm.. I'm not the world's best chef or creative chef I have to say. So I don't know that my ideas are going to be inspiring at all.
Last night we had steak with tomato salad and some asparagus. Sounds boring maybe. But it's healthy and we think it tastes great. Then I had a cherry yoghurt for dessert.
I also like to come up with all sorts of different salad creations. Just your basic crisp leaves salad, then I add either grilled chicken or smoked salmon and capers, or egg, or grilled peppers, or fishcakes.. whatever I fancy really. I like my salads to be colorful and rich, if they're supposed to be my main meal. I would love that greek salad of yours!

Monica said...

I remember this feeling... I lived off of frozen lasagna while I was pregnant, that and fajitas.

This week:
Sweet and sour chicken
tacos with chicken marinade recipe from www.chipotlefan.com
vegetable quiche
salmon
veggie pizza

Amy said...

Okay. So this is what you're gonna do. Obviously you're dealing with the I-can't-plan-a-damn-thing-because-I-won't-know-what-I'm-in-the-mood-for-syndrome. I get that.

I get meal-forgetness. I make a meal, love it, plan to make it again, then I forget about it and it is lost from my memory banks. I feel like I am always and forever trying to come up with new ideas for dinner.

So I've started making a list. I have several lists by category: pasta, meat, chicken, fish, etc. I put the different meal ideas under their respective category. Then when I'm planning my week I skim the list and write down what I'm going to make for each day. Then I know what I need to buy from the grocery.

You can do the same thing, but if it's spur of the moment, at least you will have ideas to throw at each other before running out to the grocery.

My meals for the last few days (and a couple others thrown in):

Chicken, can of seasoned tomatoes, chipotle sauce in the crockpot. Shred the chicken for whatever: pita sandwiches, burritos, tacos, enchiladas, lasagna, etc.

Meatloaf

Baked chicken with a balsalmic vinegar sauce

Chili

Soup- old standby

Salmon seasoned w/ blackened spices

Teriyaki chicken over veggies

"fried" (baked) chicken

Stuffed peppers

Whole wheat pizza w/ turkey pepporini, mushrooms, pineapple

Chicken philly sandwiches

Sides:
"fried" (baked) zuccini sticks
sweet potato oven fries
roasted veggies
brown rice
whole wheat pasta
potato: baked/mashed
whole wheat couscous

...and then sometimes I just have breakfast for dinner!

Hope this helps!